Friday, January 16, 2009

Day One in Paradise - Find Food!

Am I in the Twilight Zone or have I relived this memory before? Both, I think. I'm back home on the island. Is this where I want to be? The air is warm and the breeze is cool. Why do I feel so strange? It affects me like a da ja vue. I'm not sure if its good or bad.. or could it just be what it is? Then again,the problem is, I don't know what it is...

The first thing to do on island is try to find some food. We immediately head to Ram's Market hoping to find it full of produce. But no.. we are between shipnments and some of the aisles look bare and empty. The produce shelves feel old and abandoned.

But it's Friday. Yeah! The locals are set up along the street selling their fresh picks of the day. I want everything I see...scallions, spinach, carrots, sweet tender peppers and green beans. Have I missed anything? I buy what is available now because I know I won't see again until next week. And I do appreciate that which I am given. Thank you Lord for real food!

Someone tells us they have found avocados! Fresh avocados on island! Where did you find them? We must know! Come to find out, avocados must be plentiful this year as everyone on island has them on their shelves. Not the case last year when they were scarce and non-existent. We learn that everything changes from year to year.

My mind fills with all the recipes I might make with these tasty little morsels... tomato sauce, omelettes, salsa and pizza! It occurs to me I could make a fabulous pizza. Does life get better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment